If your business accepts Bristol Pounds, this is the spot to look for resources and advice on how to make the most of our city's own money. We are world reknowned for having created something very special here in Bristol. By using our own currency we are keeping money in the city, circulating around local, independent businesses.
It's like the old saying: what goes around, comes around. If your business uses Bristol Pounds, then there'll be more in circulation to come right back to you. If you use Pounds Sterling (even if you spend locally), then it will leak right out of the city and none of us will see it again.
Another trend that has been made very clear is that those businesses which shout about the Bristol Pound (with window stickers, mentions on websites, van vinyls and tweets), get the most through their tills. So, have a look at the options below and see what your business can do to make the most of the Bristol Pound.
Let your customers know you take Bristol Pounds
One of the ways your business can use Bristol Pounds is accept them from customers. There are a growing number of ethical customers and businesses who want to spend Bristol Pounds. You need to show that you're ready to take them.
1) Get Noticed - order new POS. Display your Bristol Pound window sticker and POS materials prominently and use our logo in your own promotional materials. Order the new 2017 POS here. For websites and apps, there is a selction of logos, graphics and posters here.
2) Go Digital - add Bristol Pounds as an online payment option. Add an option to get paid online in Bristol Pounds - read about using Bristol Pounds for ecommerce here and get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll help set you up with the most appropriate way to get paid online.
3) Make sure your invoices show Bristol Pounds as a payment option. Look at this guide for examples of what to add.
4) Update your directory listing. You have a directory listing on bristolpound.org/directory. This is where customers, both members of the public and other businesses will see your business. They will be looking for where they can spend their Bristol Pounds. So make sure the contact info and description is up-to-date.
5) Shout about it - use our Social media Tweet @BristolPound with your latest business news and get a retweet to our followers (over 16k of them). Share with our Facebook page and we'll spread the word about your business.
Be Bristol Pound ready
1) Staff training. Some businesses have high staff turnover, so be sure your staff know: what security features to look for, how to accept text payments and how to put Bristol Pounds through the till (normally they are treated just like Sterling, but some businesses choose to add a Bristol Pound button). Show staff this training video showing a Pay by Text transaction:
2) Be ready for text payments. Make sure your Pay by Text phone is charged and on hand. Some businesses that take infrequent text payments prefer not to use their own phone, but instead check their online Bristol Pound account or check the customer's phone.
Create Bristol Pounds
Don't just wait for them to come in, create some yourself! The more Bristol Pounds there are out and about around Bristol the better. Bristol Pounds can only be spent in a local, independent business - your business. So, wherever possible, spend Bristol Pounds in place of sterling.
1) Work out where you're going to spend them: business rates, market rents, wages, suppliers, services. Search our directory here: bristolpound.org/directory for suppliers and if you need a hand just give us a call and we'll help link you up with your specific business needs.
2) Work out how much you will be spending in Bristol Pounds each month (eg. £B1100 on business rates + £B1450 wages + £B3500 on supplies + £B1500 on services = £B7550).
3) Top up your business banking account by standing order (eg. £B7550 a month). Here's a guide on topping up: bristolpound.org/howtopayin
4) Spend on those Bristol Pounds. Here's a guide to using your online account to make payments: bristolpound.org/regularpayments
And finally, get in touch. If you have any questions or problems, just drop us an email on email@example.com or call us on 0117 929 8642.