How to pay using TXT2PAY
TXT2PAY is a new fun way of paying with your phone, using Bristol Pounds. It takes just a few seconds with all the convenience of credit/debit cards. All you need is a mobile phone, no wallet required!
To use TXT2PAY you must first set a security PIN using your online Bristol Pound account.
Set your PIN
- Login to your account at https://bristolpound.community-currency.org
- Click on My Profile in the top right of the page
- Click on Change PIN on the left hand side
- Enter your password and the PIN of your choice. Confirm your PIN and then Submit
Making a TXT2PAY payment
*If you have an android or apple smart phone, download the free Bristol Pound App from Google Play or the Apple Store - it makes paying by text much easier!*
Go to the till as usual and ask to TXT2PAY with Bristol Pounds. Then follow the simple three step procedure below:
Step 1 Create a new text message containing the following information with a space between each (text is not case sensitive):
‘Pay’ (your instruction to make a payment)
Your security PIN, e.g. ‘1234’
The username of the business you wish to pay, e.g. ‘BristolBooks’ (you will see this displayed on the till or near it)
The amount (including pence with a stop between the pounds and pence) e.g. 5.95 or 29.68
Your text should look something like this:
Pay 1234 BristolBooks 5.95
Step 2 Send the text to the Bristol Pound Payment Number: 07938 884882 (save this number to your phone for easy access each time you want to pay). Your text is effectively an instruction to BCU to move money from your account to the seller's account.
Step 3 Both buyer and seller will receive texts (usually within 5-10 seconds) to confirm that the payment has been made successfully.
That's it! The payment has been made.
Example of the confirmation text you will receive:
“Bristol Pound: You have made a payment of _B 5.95 to member Bristol Books (BristolBooks) Transaction ID: BTL0000001. Your new account balance is _B xx.xx”
If the PIN or other information is entered incorrectly, or if there is insufficient funds to make the payment in the payer’s account, the payment will not be made. If a text payment fails, the payer will receive an associated notification by text saying why the payment has failed.
The maximum value of TXT2PAY payments is £B500 per day.
SECURITY: We strongly recommend you delete all previous payment texts and ensure you keep your phone keypad locked when not in use.
Individuals can also pay other Individual Members by text using these instructions Please note that the recipient will pay a 2% fee on the payment received.
Loss or theft
- If your mobile phone or sim card is lost or stolen, you have an obligation to block your account with your mobile phone network provider and inform Bristol Credit Union by email or via the helpline. You must also block further TXT2PAY payments by logging in to your online account and altering your mobile phone number (e.g. replace the first two digits with 9s) on your ‘My Profile’ page.
- If your membership card is lost or stolen, you have an obligation to inform Bristol Credit Union by email or via the helpline given overleaf.
- As a member you undertake to keep all passwords and other information relating to the Bristol Pound private to yourself.
We need to warn you that if you do not follow these loss or theft instructions you shall have no recourse to either Bristol Pound CIC Ltd or Bristol Credit Union in respect of any losses you may suffer as a result.
Helpline for TXT2PAY and online account problems
All payment errors related to sms TXT2PAY or online payments will be dealt with by Bristol Credit Union which operates a telephone helpline: