What is the Bristol Pound?
Bristol Pounds stick to Bristol, build community connections and work for people not banks to create fairer, stronger, happier local economy.
Love Bristol. Go Local.
The Bristol Pound is the UK’s first city wide local currency, the first to have electronic accounts managed by a regulated financial institution, and the first that can be used to pay some local taxes.
The Bristol Pound is run as a not-for-profit partnership between the Bristol Pound Community Interest Company and Bristol Credit Union.
You can spend Bristol Pounds using:
You can spend Bristol Pounds at every participating business using either paper Bristol Pounds, or from a Bristol Pound account with any mobile phone by using our simple TXT2PAY sms payment system, or over the internet.
Having electronic accounts makes Bristol Pounds easy and convenient to use for the public and opens up the opportunities for business to business payments.
All electronic accounts are managed by Bristol Credit Union on established and secure banking systems.
An explanation of TXT2PAY:
- Bristol Pounds are purchased for sterling and can be spent with business members. See our Business Directory for where you can spend Bristol Pounds*
- Bristol Pounds are spent just like pounds sterling with £B1 equal in value to £1 sterling.
- Each Bristol Pound is backed pound for pound by sterling deposits, so taking part incurs no more financial risk than is generally the case when depositing money with an authorised and regulated institution.
- The Bristol Pound is a complementary currency, designed to work alongside sterling, not replace it.
- Business accounts are available to traders that are independently owned and based in or around Bristol.
- Anyone can pay with or accept printed Bristol Pounds.
- The Bristol Pound is not legal tender and so accepting Bristol Pounds is voluntary.
- Printed Bristol Pounds are printed by specialist printers, incorporating eight security features.
- All Bristol Pound systems are very secure. Money can only be taken out of the system by registered account holders.
*Some traders are offering special offers & discounts for Bristol Pound users, see the side bar