Logging in to your Bristol Pound account
Here's Hannah to guide you through logging in to your online account.
Once you have opened your Bristol Pound account with Bristol Credit Union you will receive an activation email - containing your Bristol Pound username.
Sometimes your email system may not like our activation email - so do check your spam folder if you haven't received it within a few hours of receiving your welcome email from Bristol Credit Union. Click on the link in the email which will take you to the Bristol Pound online banking site: https://bristolpound.org/login
In the bottom right of the login page click the link 'Click here to create or reset your login password', enter your username into the popup and click 'Submit'. You will receive an email from us with a link to rest your password. Click the link, enter a memorable password and click 'Submit'.
You can now login to your account! If you've forgotten your password, follow points 2 and 3 above.
Once you've logged into your account there will be a dialogue box telling you to set your PIN. This PIN is used for logging in to your app.
Once you've logged into your account you can:
- Click 'Banking' to view your account activities, make online payments and set up recurring payments.
- Click 'Member Payment' to find and pay businesses, and to manage your regular contacts.
- Click 'My Profile' to manage your account details, change your password and PIN, find your BCU number, add a profile image and change your notification settings
Topping up your Bristol Pound account
A vital step in making Bristol Pounds part of your day to day life is keeping your account topped up.
One the simplest ways to get Bristol Pounds is creating a regular payment from your bank account using their online banking system. Set it up to go out on or just after payday. Here's a handy video of Hannah showing you how.
PLEASE NOTE: The BCU account details have recently changed and are now different to those that Hannah uses in the video below. Please use:
Account number: 63313868
Sort code: 30 94 80
You can top up your account in 1 of 3 ways:
- Standing order, online transfers and One-off Transfers from your regular bank account
- Get your wages paid into your Bristol Pound account
- Deposit cash or cheques at the Bristol Credit Union
Set up a standing order or one-off Transfer from your sterling bank account to top up your Bristol Pound account using the following details:
- Account name: Bristol Credit Union
- Account number: 63313868
- Sort code: 30-94-80
- Reference: *****BP (Your personal BCU Member Number +BP, e.g. "56789BP")
Find your BP reference number under 'my profile' on your online banking
All BCU accounts have the same account name, sort code and account number. Your personal reference number pulls your funds into your Bristol Pound account, so don't forget to include it in the reference of your transfer.
Alternatively, complete a standing order mandate and send it by post to the Bristol Credit Union
Please note that the BCU transfers funds twice a day at 11:30am and 3:30pm, Monday to Friday. Deposits made after 3.30pm will not be in your Bristol Pound account until 11.30am the following working day.
Anyone can be paid in Bristol Pounds! Ask your employer to have part or all of your salary paid electronically into your online Bristol Pound account. They can join the payroll scheme, or you can ask them to put part of your wages directly into your Bristol Pound account. If your employer is already a Bristol Pound member you can complete a payroll mandate and sent it to the Bristol Credit Union.
Getting paid in £Bs couldn't be easier. Simply open your £B account, make the request to your employer, then take advantage of this great way to keep your account topped up and ready to use! And you can specify the exact your amount of £Bs you'd like to receive as part of your wage.
- Set up your £B account with the Bristol Credit Union
- Fill in the Payroll Mandate Form stating how much of your salary you would like to receive into your £B account and submit it to your employer's payroll department.
- Spend with independent and local businesses confident your £B balance is healthy!
“It’s great that work agreed to pay some of my salary directly into my Bristol Pound account every month. Not only is it convenient for me, and means I always have enough money in my account, but I also feel good about working for an employer who will support my choice to use the Bristol Pound, and support my city.”
Helen, Soil Association
Paying staff in Bristol Pounds is a really simple way to commit
Option 1: Simply send the requested part of your employees salary electronically to their £B account, held by the Bristol Credit Union (bank details above), using their unique reference number.
Option 2: If you are a big employer, get in touch with the BCU and sign up as a ‘Payroll Partner’
“Achieving Sustrans vision depends on our being able to access what we need on foot, by bike or by public transport, which means having thriving local economies ensuring that we can get to an interesting variety of goods and services. Local currencies provide a crucial part of the jigsaw in making this all happen, and so we’re delighted to offer Bristol staff the opportunity to be paid in Bristol Pounds.”
Peter Lipman, External Affairs Director, Sustrans
Online Payments with Bristol Pounds
Your Bristol Pound account has a lot of functionality.
Here's a handy video showing you how to make a one-off payment, and a walk-through for setting up a regular payment - in this case, setting up council tax payments for the year. Over to Hannah.
Making a one off payment to another Bristol Pound member is pretty simple. Here's a 5 step run through:
- Log in to your account
- Go to the banking tab and choose 'Member Payment'
- Put in the business name or username
- Enter the amount
- Click submit, then confirm.
You can use your online Bristol Pound account to set up regular payments to Bristol Pound members (personal and business members), just like a standing order. Here's how to set up regular £B payments, how to view your regular payments and how to cancel your regular payments once they're no longer needed.
- Login to your Bristol Pound account and go to the Banking
- Select Member Payment from the menu on the right hand side.
- Select the Business Member, Contact or type the Login name of the member who you want to pay
- In the Scheduling dropdown field select Recurring payments. The screen then presents the options shown below. Complete the following fields:
- Amount: This is the regular amount you wish to pay to the Member
- First occurrence: Date you wish the first payment to be made. The default is the current date
- Process until: This is the number of regular payments you wish to make to the Member, if you select “Being manually canceled” they will go on indefinitely.
- Process every: Select how regularly you would like the payments to be made, monthly, weekly or daily.
- Description: Notes you wish to go on the transactions
- Click Submit, you will be presented with a confirmation screen.
- Check the details and if correct click Confirm.
This sets up the recurring payment. If the date of the first payment is the current date this payment will be made immediately. The full schedule is then displayed, an example of which is displayed below.
You can review recurring payments you have set up at any time. Simply select Recurring Payments from the Banking menu. This will present a searchable list of all your recurring payments. Clicking on each payment will present a detailed screen.
All future recurring payments to a Member can be cancelled by clicking the Cancel button on the recurring payment details screen. You will be asked to confirm that you want to cancel the payment.
Paying by App
Paying by app is the best way to spend digital Bristol Pounds.
To get set up, just download the app from your app store and follow the on screen instructions.
The app is available on ios and Android.
If you would like any help downloading or getting the app set up, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone on 0117 929 8642 or email on [email protected]
For a list of app related FAQs, visit this page
Watch the video below to see a demo of the app in action.
Paying by Text
Paying by text is no longer the primary payment channel and we would encourage you to use the mobile app for all payments.
If you are unable to use the mobile app for any reason (lack of smartphone, Windows phone, etc.) then Text2Pay is the "back-up" option.
To use Text2Pay you don't need a smartphone, a mobile 'phone with SMS will suffice. However, SMS can suffer from intermittent mobile signal, which can be a frustrating, and for this reason we would urge use of the mobile app as your primary form of payment.
To pay by text you must first set a security PIN using your online Bristol Pound account.
Set your PIN
If you haven’t set your pin yet:
- Log in to your account in the top right of the home page.
- Click on My Profile in the top right of the page.
- Click on Change PIN on the left-hand side.
- Enter your password and the PIN of your choice.
- Confirm your PIN and then Submit.
Go to the till as usual and ask to pay by text with Bristol Pounds. Then follow the simple three step procedure below
Step 1 Create a new text message containing the following information with a space between each (text is not case sensitive):
- ‘Pay’ (your instruction to make a payment)
- Your security PIN, e.g. ‘1234’
- The username of the business you wish to pay, e.g. ‘BristolBooks’ (you will see this displayed on the till or near it)
- The amount (including pence with a stop between the pounds and pence) e.g. 5.95 or 29.68
Your text should look something like this: Pay 1234 BristolBooks 5.95
Step 2 Send the text to the Bristol Pound Payment Number: 07441 900 333 (save this number to your phone for easy access each time you want to pay). Your text is effectively an instruction to BCU to move money from your account to the seller's account.
Step 3 Both buyer and seller will receive texts (usually within 5-10 seconds) to confirm that the payment has been made successfully.
That's it! The payment has been made.
Example of the confirmation text you will receive:
“Bristol Pound: You have made a payment of _B 5.95 to member Bristol Books (BristolBooks) Transaction ID: BTL0000001. Your new account balance is _B xx.xx”
If the PIN or other information is entered incorrectly, or if there are insufficient funds to make the payment in the payer’s account, the payment will not be made. If a text payment fails, the payer will receive an associated notification by text saying why the payment has failed.
The maximum value of text payments is £B500 per day.
SECURITY: We strongly recommend you delete all previous payment texts and ensure you keep your phone keypad locked when not in use.
Individuals can also pay other Individual Members by text using these instructions Please note that the recipient will pay a 2% fee on the payment received.
If you have an Android or Apple smart phone, download the free Bristol Pound App from Google Play or the Apple Store - it makes paying with your phone much easier!
If your mobile phone or sim card is lost or stolen, you have an obligation to block your account with your mobile phone network provider and inform Bristol Credit Union by email or via the helpline. You must also block further text payments by logging in to your online account and altering your mobile phone number (e.g. replace the first two digits with 9s) on your ‘My Profile’ page. If your membership card is lost or stolen, you have an obligation to inform Bristol Credit Union by email or via the helpline given overleaf. As a member you undertake to keep all passwords and other information relating to the Bristol Pound private to yourself.
We need to warn you that if you do not follow these loss or theft instructions you shall have no recourse to either Bristol Pound CIC Ltd or Bristol Credit Union in respect of any losses you may suffer as a result.
Contact us with any text payments and online account problems
Mobile App versus Text2Pay
* We understand that Text2pay can be a frustrating experience since it is not a reliable payment channel due to factors outside of our control i.e. intermittent mobile signal, SMS supplier outages, etc.
* We are therefore working on making the systems _within_ our control as robust as possible
* However, we will never be able to solve intermittent mobile signal issues when making purchases with merchants
* Therefore, we recommend that regular users download the mobile app (iOS/Android) and use this as their primary payment channel
* The mobile app requires data connectivity, but this could be mobile data or the local merchant Wifi, thus alleviating the mobile signal problem
* The mobile app can therefore be considered as a direct replacement for Text2Pay
* Users who are *unable* to upgrade to use the mobile app (e.g. Windows phone users, early Android/iOS versions, etc.) have the following options:
** Use the beautifully designed Paper pounds - often a great talking point and can be used at all our member businesses. Paper can be bought with sterling at one of over 20 CashPoint businesses around the city. At 'CashPoint plus’ locations you can also withdraw money from your Bristol Pound account. Search for your nearest cashpoint here
** Use the SMS service with support on a "best efforts" basis. However, we will continually encourage and support our members to upgrade to the mobile app to ensure they benefit from this superior service
* At some point in the future (exact date TBC), we intend to retire Text2Pay entirely due to the ongoing customer frustration
Bristol Pound Cash Points
Get your hands on paper Bristol Pounds at a Bristol Pound 'Cash Point'.
You can exchange your £s for Bristol Pounds - it's always 1 to 1. Only the Bank of England are permitted to print legal tender, meaning the paper Bristol Pounds are technically vouchers and therefore are legally required to expire after a certain date. The current edition of Bristol Pounds have an expiry date of September 30th 2021.
At a 'Cash Point Plus' account holders can withdraw Bristol Pounds. Here's a short video showing you how to do it:
|£B notes available||Pay by Text or App||Deposit £B|
Paper Bristol Pounds are not only beautiful but very secure. Download a Bristol Pound Security Guide - for the third edition (valid from July 2018).
You can buy a souvenir set of Bristol Pounds from our online shop.
Individual members and non-members are not able to redeem printed Bristol Pounds for electronic Bristol Pounds or for sterling.
Only the Bank of England are permitted to print legal tender, meaning the paper Bristol Pounds are technically vouchers and therefore are legally required to expire after a certain date. The current edition of Bristol Pounds have an expiry date of September 30th 2021.